UnderPark Project: Let’s Build a New Park Together
October 20, 2022
The City Of Sunny Isles Beach is in the early stages of planning to build a new park underneath and adjacent to the William Lehman Causeway. They are working with the talented professionals who are building The Underline from Brickell to Dadeland underneath Metrorail. City residents have a dire need for more team sports and other recreational facilities and the Lehman Causeway underpass and adjacent City-Owned Land present an opportunity to provide these amenities to the community.
The City is still in the early planning phase for this new park. A critically important component of conceptualizing the final plan is to ensure robust and inclusive input from Sunny Isles Beach residents. The City recently sent out a survey asking residents’ opinions about what additional recreational facilities "you would want in the city." If you’re are a Sunny Isles Beach resident and you have not already done so, please take a moment to complete the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RecreationNeeds
With the possibility of New Recreation Areas being added around the City, Officials want to know what you would like to see in these spaces. Currently, The City of Sunny Isles Beach maintains the following Recreation Spaces and Amenities:
• Heritage Park - Splash Pad, Playgrounds, Dog Area, Picnic Tables, Memorial Wall
• Golden Shores Park - Playground, Picnic Table, Benches
• Pelican Community Park - Baseball Field, Indoor Basketball Court, Playground, Picnic Tables, Community Center with Classrooms, Fitness Center
• Senator Gwen Margolis Park - Soccer Field, Dog Park, Walking Path, Picnic Tables, Playground, Botanical Garden
• Samson Oceanfront Park - Playground, Benches, Walking Path, Pavilion, Volleyball Courts on the Beach, Showers
• Town Center Park - Fitness Equipment, Walking Path, Gazebo, Benches, Restrooms, Playground
• Gateway Park - Performing Arts Stage, Butterfly Garden, Playground, Picnic Tables & Benches, Interactive Water Feature, Community Gathering Space
• Gateway Center - 3,600 Square Foot Ballroom, Social Alley with Seating and Game Tables, Classroom, Fitness Room, Catering Kitchen
• Newport Fishing Pier - Fishing Pier, Restaurant, Showers
• Intracoastal Parks - Playground, Walking Path, Benches, Picnic Tables
Sunny Isles Beach can pay for this park outright because of record Reserves and solid finances, but they will be seeking Grants and Sponsorships to offset costs. Additionally, this new park will not prevent the City from building other recreational and cultural facilities or upgrading existing ones.
They Want Your Input
In September, they held an Informal Town Hall/Charrette Design Meeting to collect feedback from residents. At the first Meeting, many thoughtful questions were asked and creative ideas were shared. They kept the momentum going with a second Town Hall Meeting October 6th at the proposed site for the UnderPark, the William Lehman Causeway lot.
To continue the effort to receive input, the City has created an online portal to submit information. City officials would like to know what you would like to see in this new park. Share your comments and input via the submission form: https://sunnyislesfl.seamlessdocs.com/f/UnderPark