Aventura Charter Schools Adopt Miami-Dade County Public Schools Policies
February 7, 2022
Due to the surge of COVID-19 cases in Miami-Dade County, the City of Aventura’s municipal charter schools (ACES and DSAHS) have implemented the same health and safety protocols as issued by Miami-Dade County Public Schools.
Miami-Dade County Public Schools COVID-19 Protocols
Beginning January 3, 2022, and until further notice, the following COVID-19 protocols will be implemented: All M-DCPS employees, volunteers, visitors, vendors, and contractors are required to wear facial coverings while indoors at any District school or facility. Facial coverings are not mandated for students, but they continue to be highly encouraged.
The following policies apply to both Aventura City of Excellence School (ACES) and Don Soffer Aventura High School (DSAH):
• All staff and visitors to the schools must wear a mask.
• Students are strongly encouraged to wear a mask.
• Any student who is experiencing symptoms of illness should test and not attending school while experiencing symptoms. Students exhibiting symptoms will be isolated and parents will be asked to pick them up.
• Any student who tests positive for COVID-19 should inform their school nurse via email. Please contact your school (ACES 305-466-1499, DSAHS 786-481-3032) to obtain the corresponding nurses' contact information.
M-DCPS Updates Protocols to Address Surge in COVID-19 Cases
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS) has been closely monitoring local COVID-19 conditions and following the guidance of the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC) and medical experts when developing protocols to ensure the health and safety of our students and employees. Due to a surge in COVID-19 cases during the holidays, driven by the highly contagious Omicron variant, M-DCPS is modifying its existing protocols.
• All M-DCPS employees, volunteers, visitors, vendors, and contractors will be required to wear facial coverings while indoors at any District school or facility.
• Transportation employees will also be required to wear facial coverings while transporting children.
• Facial coverings will not be mandated for students, but they will continue to be highly encouraged as this practice provides an additional layer of protection against COVID-19.
• All spectators at school sporting events will be required to wear facial coverings.
• Protocols for the enhanced sanitization and cleaning of classrooms and common areas, which were implemented at the beginning of the pandemic, will continue.
Self-isolation and quarantine protocols for students will remain the same.
Prior to sending their children to school, parents/guardians are asked to complete the At-Home Daily Student Health Screening which can be found at http://pdfs.dadeschools.net/reopening/Parent_At_Home_Daily_Student_Health_Screening-English.pdf Parents of students who are home self-isolating or quarantining due to exposure to COVID-19 should contact their children’s teachers for makeup assignments and links for remote access via Teams or Zoom. More information about remote learning options during quarantine can be found at ICP.dadeschools.net
Frequent handwashing, social distancing, COVID-19 testing, and vaccination will continue to be encouraged. Additionally, the District will leverage its existing partnerships with local health and municipal entities to further expand COVID-19 testing and vaccinations in our schools.
M-DCPS will analyze available data on local conditions each week and follow the guidance of medical experts to identify opportunities for additional adjustments to its health and safety protocols.
For the most up-to-date information, please download the Dadeschools Mobile App to your iPhone or Android device. Follow us on Twitter @mdcps and @miamisup, on Instagram @miamischools and @miamisup, and on Facebook at MiamiSchools.