Fuel Up For Summer Fun: Dietitian-Approved, Family-Friendly Healthy Recipes
By Family Features
May 24, 2023
Summer sun brings an abundance of outdoor activities from jumping in the pool and playing in the yard to simply lounging in the shade. Making the most of those warm weather moments with loved ones means maximizing your time and fueling up for adventure with easy, kid-friendly recipes the whole family can enjoy.
From favorite snacks to homemade lunches, flavorful dishes that are quick to make using nutritious Fruits and Veggies can help keep your family ready for whatever summer brings. Dietitian-approved Recipes like Peanut Butter and Jelly Sweet Potato Taquitos and Easy Homemade Salsa offer better-for-you summer solutions with healthy ingredients like: Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Sweet Onions, Roma Tomatoes and more.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, these taquitos let you enjoy the convenient benefits of cooking with an air fryer, including:
* Healthier cooking: Requiring little to no oil, air frying is a healthier alternative to deep frying.
* Timesaving: Air fryers can cook foods faster than traditional methods and typically with less cleanup.
* Versatility: From vegetables and meats to desserts or reheating leftovers, air fryers can cook a variety of foods.
"Get into the kitchen together as a family and get cooking," said Julie Lopez, Registered Dietitian and Culinary Nutrition Chef. "Cooking together can help kids build self-confidence and lay down the foundation for healthy eating habits."
While shopping for your family's preferred ingredients, remember to look for the Produce for Kids and Healthy Family Project logos next to favorite items in the produce department, as adding these flavorful Fruits and Veggies to your cart can help make a difference in your community.
To find more summer recipe inspirations, visit: www.HealthyFamilyProject.com
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sweet Potato Taquitos
Recipe courtesy of Tracy Shaw on behalf of Healthy Family Project
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
• 1 Cup of Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced small
• Non-Stick Olive Oil Spray
• 1/2 Cup of Peanut Butter, preferred Nut Butter or Nut-FREE Butter
• 8 Small, Low-Carb Flour Tortillas
• 1 Cup of Blueberries, washed and dried
• 1 Cup of Raspberries, washed and dried
Preheat the air fryer to 400˚ F.
Add the diced Sweet Potatoes to the air fryer basket and lightly spray it with the Olive Oil Spray. Cook the Sweet Potatoes for 10 minutes, shaking the basket 1-2 times to toss the Sweet Potatoes.
Transfer the cooked Sweet Potatoes to a medium bowl; add the Peanut Butter and mix it well.
Lay the Tortillas on the counter and place 1-2 tablespoons of Sweet Potato Mixture on each Tortilla.
Add the Blueberries and the Raspberries next to the Sweet Potato Mixture.
Roll each Tortilla tightly. Place the rolled Tortillas, seam sides down, in the air fryer.
Spray the Tortillas lightly with the Olive Oil Spray.
Cook in the air fryer for 6-7 minutes.
Easy Homemade Salsa
Recipe courtesy of Healthy Family Project
Cook time: 10 minutes
• 1/2 Small RealSweet Sweet Onion, halved
• 5 Mini Sweet Peppers, seeded and quartered
• 3 Roma Tomatoes, quartered
• 1 1/2 Limes, Juice only
• 1/4 Cup of Fresh Cilantro
• 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Garlic Salt, or to taste
In a food processor, blend the Onion, the Peppers, the Tomatoes, the Lime Juice, the Cilantro and the Garlic Salt until the desired consistency is reached. Serve it with the Tortilla Chips.